I picked lamb shanks for the first try. I started with one pound shanks. Two just fit into the bottom for browning.
- Brown the shanks, remove to a plate.
- Add a mirepoix (one onion, one celery stalk, one carrot). Cook until the veggies are soft.
- Return shanks to pan, nestled into the mirepoix
- Add a braising liquid of about 1/2 cup wine, 1/2 cup water, and 1 heaping tablespoon of mustard.
- Top shanks with sprouts of fresh mint (now appearing in the garden).
- Cover pot and place in a 285 degree oven for 3 hours.
- Add sweet potato quarters and additional water if necessary. (Do not let the pot go dry)
- Cook an additional 45 to 60 minutes.
To make a sauce/gravy remove shanks to a plate and cover to keep warm. Drain braising liquid in to a container.
Let fat rise to the top (adding an ice cube will speed up the process). Drain fat and use an immersion blender to puree vegetables and broth.