I've done this before. See the link for details. Nancy likes this quite a bit so here it is again.. The shanks are more expensive than our usual fare, but sometimes a little luxury is necessary.
The directions for this variation: Heat oven to 350F
1) Brown shanks in a dutch oven and remove to a plate
2) Chop an onion and cook until soft, add 1 or 2 clove of chopped garlic
3) Deglaze pan with 1/2+ cup wine and 1/2 cup broth (chicken or beef) and 1 TBLS of mustard
4) Return shanks to pan and cover with a cup or so of chopped fresh mint (ours garden is full)
5) Cook about 2 1/2 hours. Check after 1 1/2 hours and add water if braising liquid is low.
6) Sprinkle some fresh chopped mint over the shanks
Add some veggies or a nice salad.